This section covers data on wages, consumer and producer prices, population and the labour market. Wholesale prices are available monthly back to 1790 and both wage and cost of living indices are available annually back to the C13th. Population estimates are available back to the Domesday Book and estimated days and hours worked from the C13th. Employment and unemployment statistics derived from the census and administrative data become available from the C19th onwards. Much of these data are available in the Bank’s Millennium dataset but the underlying publicly available sources are also reproduced here. The datasets are supplemented by publications such as the British Labour Statistics Historical Abstract which covers the period 1886-1968 and the monthly Ministry of Labour Gazette and its descendent publications from 1919.
- Employment Gazette August 1984 (18MB)
- Employment Gazette February 1987 (26MB)
- Employment Gazette April 1989 (20MB)
- Employment Gazette November 1989 (33MB)
- Employment Gazette October 1994 (39MB)
- Wages and Prices section of Millennium of Macroeconomic Data v3.1 (xls), summary data are available via FRED