This section covers bespoke data on the banking system and other credit institutions. It also includes data on the Bank of England balance sheet and its operations and money and credit aggregates. These are backed up by digitised publications such as the Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin and Statistical Abstracts, and the Annual Abstract of Banking Statistics.
- Users should first consult the Money and Credit sections of the Millennium of Macroeconomic Data v3.1 (xls), which contains data on various money and credit aggregates as well as data on the Bank of England balance sheet. Headline series are available via FRED
- More detailed data on the Bank of England balance sheet are available on the Research datasets page at the Bank of England.
- We are hoping to include more historical data on commercial bank balance sheets pending permissions and copyright.
A very useful volume summarising the role of the London Clearing Banks in the late 1970s is available below. This was based on evidence given by the banks in 1977 to the Committee to Review the Functioning of Financial Institutions.
The London Clearing Banks (172MB)
The Bank of England produced numerous methodological articles on money and credit statistics many of which appeared in the Monetary and Financial Statistics publication produced by the Bank. Key ones are linked below by category but a complete chronological list can be found here.
Money and Divisia
- UK monetary aggregates main definitional changes since 1970
- Assessing the reliability of monetary statistics
- Compilation methods of the components of broad money and its balance sheet counterparts
- Counterparts to changes in M4 a user guide
- Measures of M4 and M4 lending excluding intermediate other financial corporations
- Counterparts to M4ex
- Replacement of the Bank Return and changes to the release of notes and coin
- Divisia indices for money an appraisal of theory and practice
- A new measure of Divisia money
- Improvements to Divisia money series
- Amendments to Divisia money series
- Impact of securitisations and loan transfers activity on M4 lending
- Changes to the FSA Statistics on Mortgage Lending following the creation of the PRA and FCA
- Data on lending to UK SMEs
- Credit Union Statistics (pdf) (xls)
- A new measure of consumer credit
- Changes to the treatment of loan transfers and lending to housing associations
- A loan-level data collection for buy-to-let lending
- A loan-level data collection for buy-to-let lending details of phase 2 of the collection
- A loan-level data collection for buy-to-let lending phase 3 of the collection (buy-to-let loans within corporate business units)
- Change in policy for seasonal adjustment of quarterly series
- Change of seasonal adjustment method to X-12-ARIMA
- Historical comparison of seasonally adjusted series using GLAS and X-12-ARIMA
- The treatment of securitisations and loan transfers when seasonally adjusting using X-12-ARIMA
- Seasonal adjustment of monetary data annual review by Martin Daines
- Changes to the annual seasonal adjustment review
- Seasonal adjustment 2008 annual review 2009 annual review 2010 annual review 2012 annual review
- Seasonal adjustment 2012 update 2014 update 2015 update 2016 update 2017 update
- Seasonal adjustment effects of the 2012 Diamond Jubilee
- Seasonal adjustment of quarterly M4 excluding intermediate OFCs (M4ex)
- Seasonal adjustment of M4 excluding intermediate OFCs (M4ex) – an update
- Seasonal adjustment of UK monetary aggregates direct versus indirect approach